Victorian weights and measures

Back to Time Period
Victorian weights and measures

St Sidwell’s, the area outside the city’s east gate, was a parish and manor with its own separate privileges, distinct from those of the city. It belonged to the Dean & Chapter of the cathedral.

This set of weights and measures was made for the manor of St Sidwell’s in 1860. It was used to check that traders in St Sidwell’s were using fair measures when selling goods; defaulters were prosecuted. The elaborate box reads ‘Manor and Fee of St Sidwell’s’.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum