Princesshay in the 1960s

Back to Time Period
Princesshay in the 1960s

Princesshay was so named because it was opened by Princess Elizabeth when she visited Exeter in 1949. It was an idea of Thomas Sharp that a shopping centre should be laid out, aligned on the Cathedral’s Norman towers, which had been obscured from view in the crowded pre-war city. The view shows Princesshay prior to its completion, probably in the early 1960s. This area was demolished in 2005 to make way for the new Princesshay development.

Acknowledgments: Exeter City Museums