A lamp from County Hall, Exeter

Back to Time Period
A lamp from County Hall, Exeter

County Hall is now widely appreciated as a fine example of the architecture of its day; it was designed by H. McMorran and built between 1957 and 1964.

A particular feature of the building was the careful regard for details. The view shows one of the bronze lamps provided for the exterior of the building; similar care is evident in the design of many of the fittings.

This original lamp was removed in 2002, when concerns were expressed about its condition. It was salvaged by Peter Child, the county’s Historic Buildings Officer, who presented it to Exeter Museums.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum