Reconstruction of Cricklepit Mill

Back to Time Period
Reconstruction of Cricklepit Mill

In 1900 many Exeter industries still crowded around the old leats in the suburb of Exe island, close to the centre of the city. The view on the left shows the appearance of Cricklepit at that time, still with its ancillary sheds with their corrugated iron roofs. It remained crowded as late as the 1950s, as shown on the right, but by this time many industries in this area were moving out from the town centre to industrial estates at Marsh Barton. By this time Cricklepit was operating as an animal feed mill run by the firm of Shears. Neighbouring properties included a coal merchant and wood yard. Shears closed soon afterwards.

Acknowledgments: R. ParkerExeter Archaeology