Near the Friars Walk, Exeter

Back to Time Period
Near the Friars Walk, Exeter

The Friars was the area outside the city walls between Topsham Road and the river; it had formerly been occupied by the Greyfriars. This view by the local artist John White Abbott shows the rural appearance of the area in 1808, shortly before the construction of Colleton Crescent. To the left is the river Exe and through the trees can be seen the Haldon hills.

Acknowledgments: Exeter City Museums